My Journey With:

Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hEDS) ~ Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) ~ Focal Impaired Awareness (Complex Partial) Seizures ~ Fibromyalgia ~ Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) ~ Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) ~ TMJ Dysfunction ~ Bipolar Disorder Type I Rapid Cycling With Psychotic Features ~ Migraines ~ Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) ~ Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) ~ Keratosis Pilaris (KP) ~ Complex-Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) ~ Panic Disorder ~ Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) ~ Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) ~ Self-Harm ~ Bilateral Piezogenic Pedal Papules ~ Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ~ Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) ~ Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) ~ Specific Phobias ~ Chronic Daily Headache ~ Eczema

Friday, April 15, 2011

BAM! Stopped by seizures again


This morning we woke up to go to physical therapy when DH started seizing.  Most of the time he doesn't have seizures in the morning, but since he did this morning.  I absolutely refuse to leave DH right after he has a seizure, so I called in to the PT office.  They were very friendly and are already aware of DH's epilepsy.

For those of you who have never had a seizure before, it's really frightening.  It's not funny, and it certainly isn't anything to laugh at.  After my first tonic clonic seizure (used to be called grand mal) I was made fun of by other adults.  Someone cannot help it when they have a seizure.  Seizures are not contagious and you cannot swallow your tongue.  It is physically impossible. Try it.  See?  It really can't be done.

I want to go over a little seizure first aid so that my readers can be informed.  You may be able to help someone having a seizure after reading this.  It isn't hard and it is really, really important.  I've seen people walk off as fast as they could when DH goes down and into a seizure.  Instead of asking how they can help or even hanging back in case help is needed, they flee.  I hope they are happy being selfish, heartless, cowards.  I mean I personally couldn't look myself in the mirror if I was that type of person, but hey, to each their own.

This is a flier I scanned from my neuro's office.


These are the most important points to remember:

  • Make sure the person doesn't hit their head.
  • Make sure the person is on their side, they are less likely to hurt themselves or choke on vomit (if they vomit).
  • If you don't know if someone has epilepsy and they do not have medical jewelery on call 911.
  • If the person is able to talk and refuses to see an ambulance, listen to them. They may not be able to afford it.
  • If the seizure is over 5 minutes long or there are multiple seizures without regaining consciousness in between call 911.
  • Remove the person's glasses, for obvious reasons.
  • If the person having the seizure is pregnant, call 911.
  • Once again, it is impossible to swallow your tongue.  This is an old wive's tale, urban legend, whatever you want to call it, but it's not possible to swallow your tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Please show class and respect in your comments. All comments are previewed, but anyone can comment. I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...