My Journey With:

Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hEDS) ~ Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) ~ Focal Impaired Awareness (Complex Partial) Seizures ~ Fibromyalgia ~ Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) ~ Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) ~ TMJ Dysfunction ~ Bipolar Disorder Type I Rapid Cycling With Psychotic Features ~ Migraines ~ Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) ~ Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) ~ Keratosis Pilaris (KP) ~ Complex-Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) ~ Panic Disorder ~ Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) ~ Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) ~ Self-Harm ~ Bilateral Piezogenic Pedal Papules ~ Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ~ Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) ~ Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) ~ Specific Phobias ~ Chronic Daily Headache ~ Eczema

Friday, November 4, 2016

30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge: Day 4

Day 4: How have your friends and family reacted to it?


Growing up I was bullied badly because I confided in the wrong people that I was mentally ill. It was also obvious something about me was off, and my emotions and behaviors were erratic. The biggest mistake I made was confiding in someone. I always tried my best to downplay and hide my pain, though I got made fun of for smelling like Ben Gay all the time.

As an adult, people didn't take my pain seriously until I was completely disabled by it. My doctors still don't take it seriously enough. DH takes my pain, POTS, and mental health very seriously, which means a lot to me. Most of my social interaction is online, and I have found very supportive communities online that I depend on.

My parents always took my pain seriously. They finally accepted that my mental illness wasn't my fault, when they took a class offered by NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Before that they tried to understand, but I didn't even understand what was going on myself. NAMI saved my life.

These days I'm not around them, and I feel much safer, plus I always know DH is there to protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Please show class and respect in your comments. All comments are previewed, but anyone can comment. I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...