My Journey With:

Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hEDS) ~ Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) ~ Focal Impaired Awareness (Complex Partial) Seizures ~ Fibromyalgia ~ Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) ~ Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) ~ TMJ Dysfunction ~ Bipolar Disorder Type I Rapid Cycling With Psychotic Features ~ Migraines ~ Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) ~ Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) ~ Keratosis Pilaris (KP) ~ Complex-Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) ~ Panic Disorder ~ Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) ~ Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) ~ Self-Harm ~ Bilateral Piezogenic Pedal Papules ~ Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ~ Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) ~ Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) ~ Specific Phobias ~ Chronic Daily Headache ~ Eczema

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Happy World Book Day!

Today, as you can probably tell from the title of this post, is World Book Day.  I've been hooked on books since before I knew how to read.  When I was a toddler I carried my baby doll Crissy and my Little Golden Book Disney's Peter Pan everywhere with me.  I have a very short attention span, so I always read more than one book at a time.  Some people think that would make it easy to get characters mixed up in the different books, but I can honestly say that has never happened to me.  Try it for yourself, you'll probably like it.  So, without further ado, I'm going to talk about the books I'm currently reading, and why you should read them too.

The Silence (ARC) 
by Tim Lebbon
400 pages
ISBN: 1781168814


I just started this book last night.  It takes place in 2016 in England, and is about a deaf girl and her family.  Just pages into the book the action starts with strange blood thirsty creatures escaping from a cave that's been sealed off from the rest of the world for millions of years.  Because the cave has been sealed off for so long a whole new ecosystem, quite different than ours, has formed.  After the creatures escape they leave thousands of people dead, and millions more terrified of being next.


Kiss the Girls and Make Them Spy 
by Mabel Maney
288 pages
ISBN: 0380803100


Do you like James Bond?  Me neither.  He's a womanizing asshole, and his actions just infuriate me.  Well, here comes James' sister Jane, a lesbian in 1960s England.  She's recruited to substitute for her brother in a meeting with Queen Elizabeth, because he is in a mental hospital.  This parody of the James Bond series is hilarious, engrossing, and romantic.  Jane makes a much better hero than James does, any day of the week.


Myths of the Ancient Greeks
by Richard P. Martin
346 pages
ISBN: 0451206851


I don't know nearly as much about Greek mythology as I'd like, so this seemed like the perfect book to start with.  Dr. Martin is a leading expert in his field, and his research is supposed to be very accurate on what mythology the ancient Greeks told.  There are times I have to reread a paragraph or so because the book is a little dense, but overall it's great.  My biggest problem is pronouncing the Greek hero's and heroine's names.  It gets a little confusing because of the vast amount of names and stories in the Hellenic stories, some names differ very little from each other, but it's so interesting it's hard to stop reading.


Before Your Pregnancy: A 90-Day Guide for Couple on How to Prepare for a Healthy Conception 
by Amy Ogle, M.S., R.D. and Lisa Mazzulo, M.D.
608 pages
ISBN: 0345518411


DH and I are trying to conceive.  This is the second book I have on pre-pregnancy, the first one is What to Expect Before You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel, which I also like.  I've learned a lot of information from the book so far.  The book concentrates a lot on nutrition, which is something I struggle with.  Most days I don't even get 1,000 calories, Metformin takes away my appetite, so this is an ongoing problem for me.  It provides information on fertility, constraints for women trying to conceive, and even information and advice for the father to read and follow.

I always keep an updated list on my blog in the lower right hand side of the books I'm currently reading.  I hope that today you are enjoying World Book Day with a good book.  Read outside in the park, read in the bathtub, read on the bus, read on the couch covered with cozy blankets, and read in bed while the rest of the world sleeps.  Happy reading!

My book and me...excuse how bad I look, I'm in day #5 of a flare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Please show class and respect in your comments. All comments are previewed, but anyone can comment. I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...